Wednesday 27 February 2013

Blog Design For ROI: Keep On Fixing, Keep On Fixing

Gab,

I can’t agree with you more – designing your blog can be really overwhelming! (even for an experienced designer like me!)

A couple of days ago, I got started with designing my site Pros and Cons of School Uniforms.

I laid out the plans and designs to follow on a piece of paper a couple of days ago because I just knew how complicated things may turn out if I don’t plan things ahead.

But when I got started, things turned out to be much complicated than I thought because I’m customizing the very templates Blogger has on their site, and I never really thought it could be very tricky!

I’ve gotten around it now, though and I have to say, it’s a really rewarding experience because I was able to come up with a unique template of my own liking, that I could also even use for my other projects.

Regarding the ROI though – that’s actually something I’m worried about right now.

I’m only following the same layout I’ve seen on a friend’s Adsense CTR template, but even with that being said, I still don’t feel 100% comfortable with it just yet because for one, our templates are not 100% the same to begin with. I’m not so sure I’d be able to achieve the results I’m anticipating for.

I’ll be checking out the links you laid out in here.

Oh, and also, I’d like to add:
Actually, the tweet conversation up there sorta reminded me of my first blog.

Long ago, when I was still a newbie to the blogosphere, was able finally build my own blog – not very big, but I was lucky enough to have some of the most loyal readers for small blogs like mine.

But one day, I just had to shut my website down. It all started when I promised my readers I’d do a design makeover: “Hey, guys! I have a surprise for everybody – it will be up on the blog next week! Make sure to subscribe for updates.”

But I wasn’t able to do that in the first week so I had to apologize, extend again to the next week. And then the same thing happens over again, and so we’re onto extending the whole thing again ’til next week.

And that all started when I got so intimidated by the design of other blogs in my niche – I mean, man theirs were just really awesome as compared to mine – making me pull off the silliest decisions like this one: I just had to do the same design for my blog. Yes, like implement the same elegant ProBlogger design on my blog.

If I can’t, how can I be one of them?! and what’s the point of even getting started with any of this if I can’t be like any of them (again, I was a total newbie, then)

But of course – as expected from a total newbie to blogosphere, all the more from someone who had the most trouble navigating around WordPress and took ages to do so + close to nothing experience with any coding language at that time, things just didn’t turn out as I expected. Heck, it turned out much worse because I ended up turning the website down until the domain and webhosting expired.

But just like designing the blogger templates mentioned earlier, the experience, though learned the hard way, is very much rewarding. :)

Cheers,
Tyler


View the original article here

No comments:

Followers