Wednesday 27 March 2013

I am not Technical Enough to Blog [Myths New Writers Have #4]

A few years ago I authored a number of posts here on ProBlogger that checked out ‘Misconceptions New Writers have’. We covered:

Today I’d prefer to add another misunderstanding – you need to be technical to become a effective blogger!

I question the number of potentially great writers happen to be delay beginning your blog simply because they perceived blogging to become a technical task?

I remember my very own first forays into creating a online presence – long ago before I began my first blog – and don't forget getting that feeling myself.

I recall in the mid nineties finding an internet site which was compiled by another Aussie guy who had come up with an accumulation of quotes and jokes. It was not your blog as a result however i was drawn to what he was doing and that i e-mailed him to request him how he made it happen and whether or not this was simple to setup such like.

His reply stated it had been easy – however continued to explain a procedure that went way above my mind. It involved lots of coding – there have been no templates, couple of tools and within reading through the very first couple of sentences of his email I understood I’d never have an online prescence.

I'd no technical background, I’d not lengthy even been web my personality didn’t really lend itself towards the detail which i saw to be needed to setup an internet site.

Go forward 4-five years to 2002 so when I discovered my first blog and wondered basically too could start one I recall feeling again that possibly it might be beyond me. I did not allow the feeling stop me this time around though and started to research.

Things I found would be a surprise – tools now been around to obtain a site ready to go within a few minutes.

With my limited experience (in those days I made use of the net to complete periodic emails (hotmail) and also to research essays (search engines like google) and also to do IRC chat) I could obtain a blog ready to go and also to publish my first publish inside an hour approximately. I even made an effort at creating my very own template/theme (it had been ugly however i handled).

I'd a high learning curve – in 2002 the various tools were somewhat primitive and that i still required to learn some Web coding because there have been no A Specific Item Is What You'll Get options. You needed to write you in html and also to get comments focusing on your site you needed to make use of an exterior script (I suppose we’d refer to it as a wordpress plugin nowadays).

Today the various tools at our fingers are perfect. Developing a blog takes seconds, upgrading styles are easy (if you wish to make use of a default theme or perhaps a premium one – a little harder if you wish to do-it-yourself), posting to blogs is simply by writing an e-mail or developing a word document and you will find literally 100s of 1000's of plug ins around that will help you personalize your site without greater than a couple of clicks.

You will find still technical things to discover if you wish to bring your blog up a notch (hosting/servers, custom styles etc) however in the plan of products the various tools now exist to produce blog with little if any technical background.

Another things I’d say about this subject are:

you will find technical items to learn – however, you don’t have to know them all at one time. When you are first beginning out you might like to make it simple and hang your site on a WordPress.com blog – a couple of clicks and you’re on the run. Over time you may feel this blogging factor is one thing you need to have more seriously interested in and wish to transition for your own domain and hosting – but at that time you’ll have much more abilities at the tips of the fingers. Spend some time and suck as many abilities so that as much understanding as possible while you blog.together we all know everything – I realized pretty in early stages that even where my understanding fell short that there have been others around prepared to help. I still remember within my first week approximately of blogging wondering steps to make text bold within my posts – I had been embarressed but summonsed the courage to request another kind and generous blogger. She not just assisted me with this fundamental request but through the years grew to become a great friend. We even wound up doing a bit of blogs together. I rapidly discovered that you will find people around prepared to give advice and share their understanding. Some is going to do it free of charge simply to help, others you may want to barter services with and you will find loads of people around prepared to do temporary compensated meet your needs to assist setup facets of your site.outsourcing – with that – in case your budget enables so that as your site develops it's worth thinking about whether outsourcing a few of the more technical facets of blogging might meet your needs exactly. While I’ve many userful stuff here through the years I’m still not just a technical guy – specially when it involves hosting blogs the dimensions that mine have become to. Consequently I’ve out acquired some technical facets of my blogging – specially the hosting of my sites plus some development work.

Lastly – you will find a lot more essential things in blogging compared to technical aspects if this involves getting success.

Yes you need to possess a blog that loads properly which isn’t crashes constantly – but i believe things that are as vital for achievement include:

Getting an awareness of the visitors – knowing their demands etcBeing in a position to create content that's compelling, helpful and meeting the requirements of your readersBeing in a position to build relationships visitors and make community in your blogHaving the opportunity to draw visitors for your blog

None of those situations are easy – but much like things i stated above concerning the technical issues – it's not necessary to understand everything from the first day. Abilities develop with time as you should know things but the more you experiment.

What advice can you give writers feeling overcome through the technical side of blogging?What technical facets of blogging do/perhaps you have battled probably the most?

View the original article here

No comments:

Followers